Monday, December 16, 2013

I'm not Done Yet!

What do you do when life gives you lemons?  Do you feel sorry for yourself, drown yourself in pity and give up?  Do you accept the lemons as they were thrown your way, or focus your attention on turning something sour into something more bearable? 

Let's be honest, life is not fair at all.  Whether good or bad, you can automatically be placed in a certain position without much choice.  For example, some people are automatically wealthy just through association, whereas others enter into economic conditions that makes them less likely to succeed.  Children are born into the world every day with diseases, life threatening illnesses, and some are abused and neglected.  There are victims of crime, war, and unexpected accidents that happen constantly.  All of these things have the potential to change people lives in a dramatic way. 
  
Let’s face it.  Terrible things happened to people on a daily bases that are not due to any fault of their own.  Bad things can and often do happen to good people.  It may be totally unfair but it is a part of our reality.  At any point, life can throw you a lemon.  If you can see them coming, you may be able to get out of the way, but others may take you completely by surprise.  It's the unexpected lemons which catches you off guard and creates the temporary imbalance in your life.  It is up to you to bring back the balance.
The sooner you get past the "why me." and "what have I done to deserve this," the transitional process begins.  Believe me, it will be a transition.  In other words, stop crying over spilled milk.  It happened, so get over it, make the necessary adjustments and move forward.  Now, this sounds simple but I would be remised to say that it wouldn't require a strong sense of belief, faith, hard work and persistence.  It may not come easy but it will come. 

I was recently hit with a lemon, but I'm far from being done.  Not only am I not done yet but I am just beginning to manifest.  My life has truly been a journey without any specific destination.  It's never been about the destination but purely focused on the journey itself.  My measurement of success is not by education attainment, position, status, income or power.  My definition of success is geared outwards and about the ability to elevate, uplift and touch peoples lives in a meaningful way throughout my journey.   

I have always strived for excellence and do not believe in mediocrity or status quo as a standard.  I push myself extremely hard and challenge others around me as well.  I listen to every complaint and every criticism.  I consider them feedback and a possible opportunity to continuously improve or do it differently the next time.  I believe that it is the ability to adapt and adjust that elevates your game and your relevance.  I make every person feel they are important and how each role is valued and how it contributes to the overall team.  I am highly respectful of every person I encounter and allow people the space to grow and excel.  I lead by example and believe in holding people accountable.  Not through dominance or being overbearing but through guidance and redirection.  I make mistakes but try to learn from my mistakes as to not repeat them.  I will continue to push the envelope, try new things, change and evolve. Change is the only constant thing in our lives.  I will succeed sometimes. Hopefully more than I fail, but yes,  I will fail.  I believe that failure is a part of perfecting the improvement process.  There are so many things to achieve and more work to be done and I am truly committed to the challenge.     

“The ultimate measure of man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”       Martin Luther King Jr 

Elbert Hubbard first coined the expression “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade,’ in 1915.  Other authors have used the phrase since that time, but for most people, the phrase means very little until you are face with some sort of adversity or possibly life changing event.  When this happens, the meaning becomes extremely relevant and personal.  It is a phrase to create a "can do" attitude and to encourage optimism in the face of adversity.  
 
If life has hit you with a lemon, it could create change but it’s not the end.  You have two choices.  Brush it off, make the necessary adjustments, and continue your personal journey or create a brand new beginning.  Giving up and retreating is not an option.  It's totally up to you!


Joseph Conrod Sr. SPHR




No comments:

Popular Posts